Wednesday 4 April 2007

“A true friend only proves his worth when it is tested”

There are a few people in your life that you think, and hope, will always be there. Not necessarily as someone to rely on but as a stable figure in your life. I have a couple of people like that. Someone I thought was like that turned out to be totally different last week by suggesting that I needed “help” for discussing with a colleague our tips on pain management. This guy started in our office about 9 months ago; he only has one leg and has been on pretty much the same medication as I have over the last two years. We now take the same painkillers so know how the other is feeling when one is having a “bad day”. Is there really any harm in that? Should I seek help for talking to someone, probably the only person, who understands how I feel on a daily basis?

Yesterday was a bit of a nightmare day to be honest. I was sorting out a database on a project where I have found myself to be “Workspace Administrator”. Being this gives me total rights over the whole database to move it about and edit it to within and inch of its life. I did exactly that yesterday although I wasn’t planning on it taking all damn day. To this day I’m still unsure why I am God of that particular project, it all started when my boss got married last year (serves him right!) and left me loads of his work to do – something he takes enormous pleasure in doing not just to me. I’m used to him doing this now but he does lay it on too thick with the boys who haven’t been here as long. Anyway, when he went away he left me with the task of writing an official document on “Document Referencing Standards Procedure” for a project based in Fareham. He left very brief instructions in his wake which I tried in vain to follow, but to be honest he might as well have just said “’ere, write this.” The document gives guidance on how to reference drawings and other documentation relating to projects. Every project has its own system which needs to be followed to the letter to allow quick and easy access to information. Least that’s how it’s meant to work………

I open up the database to find numerous folders in places where they relate to nothing else. All types of documents are mixed in with each other when they should be separated, and construction drawings are in with approval drawings – a total sin in itself. After 6 hours of working on this nightmare I finally finish. I’ve restructured the whole thing, moved documents to their correct resting place and tidied up the numbering. I go home feeling pleased that I’ve managed to restore some semblance of sanity to the project management system.

This morning I arrive in work – definitely not bright eyed and bushy tailed – to an email from my boss saying that later today I would be chased for an email confirming that my fee for yesterday would be paid. Bear in mind at this stage I had been chasing the boss for two days to sort out the paper work with me so that we could email over a proposed fee. Once again he’s out for the day in London and every time I tried to catch him yesterday before I left his remark was “be with you in two minutes”.

I’ve just worked it out and if we took my fee for the day then in theory I should be on the same pay as a GP. As it stands now the PG tips monkey earns more than I do. My boss’ reply to this before……”that pays for your work station, the office rent, your desk……” zzzzzzzzz. I don’t ask much, just to be paid what everyone else who does this job gets paid!

1 comment:

OddThomas said...

Whoever said you needed help because of discussing pain management tips with a colleague, is ignorant. Ignore him - talking with people in the same situation can make things a whole lot better as you can talk with someone who really understands.

Go you for sorting out the document mess! Hope you can keep it in that condition - don't let the temps at it!!!