Monday 23 April 2007

Just another manic Monday.....

After being away last weekend I was happy to have a weekend at home to myself and not being woken up by banging on the walls! Mind you I’d have swapped a rendition of Tinkle Tinkle Little Star for being woken up by my mother shouting at my dad from the top of the stairs. My parents are incapable of letting me get some rest on a Saturday morning. Once they’d left to do some shopping I got up and put my washing on. Whilst I was going I cleaned the kitchen as I normally do on a Saturday morning. Its force of habit now and I start to get withdrawals if I can’t get to clean the sink especially. It’s oddly satisfying seeing a gleaming stainless steel sink shining up at you, so shiny in fact you can see your face in it. Literally. It’s my pride and joy on a Saturday morning and I’m devastated when the parentals come home and get it all wet and smeary! But for those few precious moments it’s perfect to the point you could eat your dinner off it! Not that I’d like to try though mind you!

This morning saw one of the worst days I’d had for a while. It started with barely any sleep last night as I was in a lot of pain with my hips and legs. I couldn’t take any painkillers as the ones that work have to be taken with food. I can’t attribute the pain to anything either really as I’d rested most of Sunday. Maybe that was the problem then. I was due to take my CSCS exam today and was booked in at 8am. Daft time to take any test if you ask me. Then I was worrying last night about where to park, but it turns out that the shopping centre close by opens its car parks at 7.30 in the morning so I didn’t have to worry in the end. From these car parks your only way out on foot is to go through the shopping centre itself, unless you particularly want to risk life and limb by walking down the car exit points. So I took my time walking through the shopping centre as I was still 25 minutes early and the test centre was only a two minute walk from the entrance of the shopping centre. I reached the end by Waterstones book shop and prepared to go out after browsing their window display until I saw a guy pushing frantically at the doors. Turns out they were still locked so I couldn’t have got out anyway! I wasn’t too worried as I’d seen a couple of people working in the shops already so thought that the security guard couldn’t be too far behind to open up. When he did arrive he gave me a weird look. He was probably wondering if I’d slept in there all night! Anyway I finally got out and made my way up to the test centre.

Once there a whole new nightmare began! I buzzed on the buzzer and the guy at the other end told me to pull the door hard towards myself. Easier said than done! My arthritis was giving me grief in my hands too so I didn’t really have the strength to pull on anything, let alone a dodgy door. After unsuccessfully pulling at the door for a minute I gave in and buzzed again. This time he said he’d send someone down to help me much to my relief.

I saw a guy coming to my rescue and he had a hard enough time getting the door open too, so thankfully it wasn’t just me being a wimp. Finally I got upstairs to the test centre and waited to be called in.

To cut an even longer story short I failed the exam! There were a few areas that I need to look at but they don’t tell you which questions you got wrong so it’s a case of guess work, or re-reading the whole book. So far no one in here has asked about it, so I’ll keep it that way! My boss is so forgetful that he’s forgotten about it too, plus he wasn’t in when I came in so he didn’t even know that I was later in. He rolled in an hour and a half after me, claiming he’d been at the dentist.

So the rest of the day so far has been spent trying to look busy, emailing Bernie, and sorting out Hardip after I received a text from him asking where I was. Turns out there’d been a bit of confusion over something that went out on Friday. To quote, “thing is, when you’re not here I have to work with the incompetent muppets who think they know more about document control than they actually do.” I think in his own way he was telling me that he missed me, hahaha! He had asked the guy who sits opposite if he knew what I’d done with this and his reply was “well she’s usually sh!t hot on sending out stuff so I imagine its fine.” Now why can’t people compliment you to your face?! I won’t bite……too hard!

1 comment:

OddThomas said...

Nice compliment! Kinda makes your day really! Shame about the exam, but I'm sure you'll get through it next time - you have an idea what to expect now ... though they will change the questions!!!