Friday 13 April 2007

Hollibob Time

I started the day early, getting up at normal work time so I could clear from the bathroom enabling everyone else to get up. My mum had an appointment at the fracture clinic at 9.30 so needed to be up early for that. I was initially planning on taking her to that appointment but my dad decided that he was feeling well enough to drive so he took her, and left me with a fiver to get a cab to the station. They were back from the hospital by 10.15 so in the end they took me to the station to catch my train. I was quite loaded with stuff so I was grateful.

The train was a few minutes late, neither here nor there really, but I got talking to an elderly lady and her granddaughter on the platform so it wasn’t too bad a wait. Plus the weather was gorgeous; I just hoped it would be the same up north. The day before I’d looked at the long range forecast and it showed rain. Joy!

Upon boarding the train I got a distinct whiff of poo. Initially I put it down to having just entered the food cart section, but was dismayed to find that the stink extended all the way up the carriage, and beyond where I was sitting. A few seats away sat a rowdy bunch of men, possibly on a stag do. From their outfits that’s the only thing I can think they’d be doing dressed like that. The theme was Hawian-ish. One had a grass skirt on over shorts and was wearing a long brown wig. All were swigging beer and talking too loudly. Maybe I’m just over sensitive to these things, but I hate lots of noise in such a confined space.

I was ecstatic when the hour and a half train journey was over. Macclesfield station smelt so fresh after!

I managed to find Helen who had come to pick me up. She arrived a few minutes after me and met me in the car park as she couldn’t leave the kids. This was going to be the first time I was seeing her new little baby, Bethan, in the flesh so I was excited. Christopher, her 3 year old son, was a little bit shy at first, but was soon happy when we played peek-a-boo round the side of his car seat! Both were fast asleep soon after we set out on the 15 minute drive to their house.

Once we were home it was great to catch up whilst the kids slept for a bit. Soon as they were awake though all hell broke loose! I’d bought the kids a present each. It was Christopher’s birthday at the end of February and I hadn’t got around to sending him anything so it was a good chance. Luckily he loves Thomas the Tank engine so I’d found this really cool train and matching wrapping paper. The train worked on a traction kind of system. It was a Thomas attached to a trailer, and on the trailer was another train (Trevor I think his name is). The two trains were joined by a piece of string and when you pulled Trevor back, holding Thomas firmly in place, Trevor would roll up onto the trailer and send Thomas careering forwards. By the time we managed to get it out of the box and detach it from the endless amount of metal ties and sellotape Christopher was getting really restless and wanted to play with it. However, all wasn’t rosy once we’d got it away from the box! Upon discovering that the two trains were attached Christopher got quiet distressed and had a tantrum. He’s autistic so finds it very very hard to communicate and let us know what’s bothering him. So we had to guess. We came to the conclusion that it was because they were joined and he couldn’t have them side by side, going at the same pace. So we eventually decided that we would separate the two trains by cutting the cord that joined them. So I held the two trains so that the string was taught and Hels cut with the scissors, on the understanding that we could eventually rejoin the 2 ends and the train would be restored to its full glory. Hels cut…………..and one end of the string disappeared into the back of Thomas…….where we couldn’t get at it ever again! We’ve never laughed so hard, and I’m killing myself laughing now just thinking about it! So damn funny! We just looked at each other and said “Oh, I didn’t think about that”. I’m blonde, but Hels’ excuse what that she’s still suffering with pregnancy brain! I wonder if it’s catching!!!!

Anyway, after that we had to hold off laughing coz Christopher was getting upset as he didn’t realise that we were laughing at our own stupidity and not at him. After a little while of watching him playing, now happily. With his trains we retired to the kitchen and held off getting any of the other bits out incase he was upset again. He’s usually a really happy boy, but if something frustrates him then he’s inconsolable for a little while, but it’s soon forgotten. He gets particularly upset if Bethan starts to cry because he can’t understand why; even if he knows she’s ok he still starts to cry himself.

Hels brought Bethan down from her nap an hour or so after and she gurgled and grunted at me for a bit. She was suffering with a bit of a cold and didn’t want to feed so she threw it all back up again. Baby puke is nicer to look at than adult puke.

Hels’ hubby, Pete, came home about 7.30 and between them they got the kids sorted and into bed. Finally we could settle and have some dinner. Pete had offered to baby-sit (brave man!) so after dinner Hels and I headed out to the pub in the village. I’m tempted to move up north because the men seem to be more attractive! We found a good place to sit and people watch and had a few drinks whilst reminiscing about the old days.

Helen and I met whilst working for the same company about 9 years ago. I left about 6 months after she joined and we remained in contact ever since. I was there when she married Pete 5 years ago, was a lovely day in March, windy but lovely!

We ended up coming home just after 11. She’s a full time mother so was shattered and I’m too easily tired. It was a relief to drop into bed and sleep.

2 comments:

OddThomas said...

The question is, did you keep the fiver for the taxi?! ;-)

Cath said...

Of course! I'm not as stupid as I look! hahaha! Least that's what I keep telling myself..... :-p