Wednesday 30 January 2008

Distinctly Unimpressed

To look at the situation from the outside you wouldn’t have thought I’d been signed off sick. Although I should have guessed this was going to be the way things always work out, with me running around like a blue bummed fly for everyone else.

I’ve been in “joint hell” since having to stop my main medication nearly a week ago due to possible liver failure. Even simple things like turning over in bed and typing are causing me grief. Today this isn’t being helped by a lack of heating and hot water. I’ve been awake since 3.30am and even taking enough tramadol to knock out an elephant didn’t succeed in gaining me any sleep, or much relief. I’d finally managed some kind of restful state after making up a little cocktail* only to be rudely yanked from it at 7.30. My mother decided that she needed to wake up half the street by f-ing and blinding over the boiler finally giving up the ghost. It annoys me as both my parents are incapable of making a decision and hiring a competent plumber. We’ve had nothing but problems with this boiler since day one. First it started to leak water; the plumber said he’d sorted it after a visit. Biggest joke I’ve ever heard. It continued to leak, had parts replaced, bits cleaned out, and then it started to flash its pretty red light. And that’s the way it has remained intermittently since July. Yes, you heard right, JULY!!!!!!! You should bear in mind also that we’ve only had the boiler since February last year.

When my mother had the bright idea of waking me and the rest of the street, up it was on the guise that the emergency department would come out from the boiler company as soon as they heard the immortal words, “gas leaking from it.” Fantastic, I got up, had a freezing cold shower (always perfect for those arthritic searing pains) and waited for her to call. She did. To tell me that they’ll be out on Friday.

Anyone want a lodger? I’m house trained….



*not of the alcoholic variety

No comments: