Tuesday 22 May 2007

Friends? Think again!

This morning saw me wake up in yet another bad mood; despite my excitement at potentially attending the opening night of Joseph at the Adelphi Theatre in July (which reminds me to book the tickets!). I scowled my way into work whilst hurling expletives at anyone who dared to try and cut me up. Don’t try and blame it on tiredness either! I had a wonderful eleven hours of sleep last night. Bliss.

So I’m sat at my desk, pretending to work, and Fatty* came over to talk to the bloke that sits in front of me. Now, I thought I got on ok with the bloke opposite but I was to be proved oh so wrong. Yesterday he pretty much had the last straw with me by calling me “Sticky” for the umpteenth time. I don’t particularly like people drawing attention to my obvious disability let alone then calling me names relating to it. Once or twice maybe it’s remotely amusing, but when it gets to the stage where he doesn’t use my name at all anymore I start to get piddled. If you know me then you’ll know I’m not one for confrontation. I’d rather just not say anything and walk away from a situation and fester than actually say anything. So this week I can’t really be bothered to say anything at all to the bloke. This morning when Fatty came over to talk to him they embarked on a bitch fest. And I thought women were bad. I was sat quietly with both earphones in, Michael BublĂ© crooning in my ears, minding my own business, when they started whispering. So I decided I was going to listen. Discreetly I hit the pause button and Michael obediently stopped serenading me. Even though at the time he was singing that he was my man I had to stop him briefly!

So I’m listening, and I see a nod out of the corner of my eye aimed in my direction and I hear “she does my head in”. Hmmm, charmed. Intrigued, I was determined to hear some more. The tirade of abuse had only just started. After branding one of the guys in the team “useless” they then moved onto the engineers. He was targeted as a “useless c**t with an over inflated opinion of himself.” Well, it’s always good to know where you stand with people. Not altogether sure what to do with any of the above information.

Here’s a sobering thought though that puts everything into perspective. A friend of mine witnessed a friend die this week. My friend was in her car with her boyfriend, and her friend was travelling with her boyfriend in his car when they decided to overtake my friend’s car. For some reason he thought it was a good idea to overtake near a bend and ended up smashing into a Galaxy. The boyfriend of the girl who died escaped with broken ribs, wrist, arm and bruising in every conceivable place. "Luckily" for him he also doesn’t remember a thing about what happened. But sadly, it took a trip to the morgue for him to believe that he’d killed his girlfriend of four years. He’s now sedated in hospital and keeps checking his phone for messages from him girlfriend. She was only 16.

All in the blink of an eye.

*unfortunately not his real name. I just cannot stand this excuse for a human being, for reasons I cannot post on here.

2 comments:

OddThomas said...

The last time I heard people sniping like that was a couple of old women - perhaps they are women in disguise! Little old biddies in fat suits!

Sorry to hear about your friend's friend, it's not right for people to die so young :(

OddThomas said...

Where are you?! Why aren't you blogging?!?!?!